Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Raising Content Children


     Contentment has always been a hard issue for me. When I arrived to the jungle of Venezuela 8 years ago I had to learn to be content with the few things I had. During the firsts months in Amazonas I couldn’t stop comparing my old life in Spain, my home country, with my new life. Until I understood the meaning of 1Timothy 6:8 - “But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.” 

     I started to visit some Indian villages and saw that many of these people did not have food or clothing. I took my eyes out of myself and was able to see, to really see, how precious things like food and clothes were to other people… the very same things I took for granted… At that time I felt so miserable for complaining for not having a big kitchen or a microwave!  

     After all these years in which the Lord has been working on me in this area I came up with some ideas to raise my children to be content whatever the situation might be, I pray that you can use any of them too. 

      - Be an example to your kids. Contentment starts with you. If they hear you complain about everything and express your frustration for not having all you’d like to have, they will imitate you and start complaining and asking for things too. - Focus in all the non-material things they have. Things like health, family, love, friends, hugs, church, school, playmates… 

      - Help them show gratitude for the “big things” but also for everyday miracles. Be thankful for the food, for having a cozy bed at night or be able to get a warm bath. - Share with others who have less than we have.  Visit an orphanage, ask your kids to go through their clothes, toys and books and donate them, be a part of organizations like Operation Christmas child or Compassion International. 
     
      - Don’t give them everything they ask for. As moms, we want to give out children the best. But… do they really need all they ask for? I don’t think so. 

     Contentment can be a struggle for us and for our children. Let’s invest time in teaching them how to be content with what they have! These are just some ideas, is there any other way you teach your children about contentment? Please share it! 

Content in His service, 
Edurne


BIO – Edurne Mencía de Nieves is a wife and mom from Spain serving God as a missionary to tribes in the jungle of Venezuela. She met her husband Maracucho at Word of Life Bible Institute in Argentina and they have 3 little children (Yennixon, 6, Nahiara, 4, and Markel, 2). She blogs in Spanish in Elviajedeunamujer.com and co-leads the Spanish section of Good Morning Girls at BuenDiaChicas.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment