Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Most Days I Feel Like a Broken Record

     If you have or have had a toddler, then you will most likely find yourself nodding your head as you read this post. For those of you who have yet to encounter toddlerhood, please consider this to just be my opinion. But I also hope to leave you with helpful information --- information I wish someone would have given me. Of course, even knowing what to expect can’t really prepare you for how difficult the toddler phase of parenting is. Sleepless nights with an infant are nothing in comparison to teaching a toddler how to be obedient. Sometimes it seems as if you are jumping hurdles in a track and field race. Other times it’s like you are a broken record, stuck on repeat. Just when you think you have figured out how to teach a specific lesson, they defy you and you are back to square one. 
 
     I am struck by the irony that I, who has a very authoritative view of parenting-one that I am sure Mary and Joseph didn't use with Jesus, was asked to write about an aspect of parenting that has been my weakest so far. When my son Wyatt entered the toddler age, I yearned to be able to use Love and Logic. It seemed so…well, logical. I have read countless books on ways to parent in a way that combines authoritative with passive, but I find myself constantly reverting back to my old tendencies. But then I came to the basic conclusion that the most important lesson for us to teach Wyatt about obeying one's parents is that he must "honor thy mother and father." That commandment was ingrained in me as a child, and I have always followed it very well, myself. In Ephesians 6:2-4 it states, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother so that it may be well with you, and that you may live long on the Earth. Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord."   It was after reading those verses that I realized I need to find ways to model to my children how to honor and respect the rules of our household in a way that honors the Lord. 
 
     My first goal was to simply teach Wyatt what the word “obey” meant in our house. And then we made it a family rule. Next, I realized that the verses were encouraging my husband and me to not discipline out of anger. This meant we needed to learn to take a step back, maybe even a deep breath, and decide what the consequence should be so that Wyatt --- and now our daughter Scarlett --- know not only what is expected of them, but what happens when they disobey. We decided that giving warnings with a gentle voice would suffice at first. So, the first time the children disobey, we get down at their level, look them in the eyes, and calmly state what they did that needs to be improved. We ask if they understand and hope they say "yes." But, as I said earlier, toddlerhood is challenging. So, oftentimes, the rule is disobeyed for a second time. At this point, I set the tone of voice to “firm.” Not in a way that ridicules or conveys disappointment, but lets them know that the behavior is unacceptable. At this point, sometimes we realize the child needs to be removed from the situation and go immediately to time-out. Other times, we allow the child to try again to correct his or her behavior. Now, because toddlers like to push their limits (well, children of any age, really), the behavior may not get better. That is when we employ a logical consequence. This could be taking something away, giving a longer time-out, or giving a delayed consequence. For a child with a Type-A personality, this is very effective because they expect an immediate consequence, and when mom or dad has time to ruminate on discipline options, it could be a worse punishment than usual.
 
     Of course, as with every stage of parenting, there is a learning curve, and we parents need to allow ourselves a certain measure of grace as we deal with the challenges of teaching toddlers to obey. The important thing is to teach our children what God wants all of His children to know: that even though honoring our father and mother is the right thing to do, and disobedience often comes with consequences, it doesn’t diminish our love for them. 

Today's post was written by: Michelle Wiest 

 
I'm Michelle Wiest, mother to Wyatt and Scarlett. I have always wanted to be a mother and am so blessed that my desire to be not only a mom, but a stay at home mom, was able to come true. I am a former Middle School Language Arts teacher so I have always taught others to write but never
 really tried myself. I'm so elated to have the chance to combine my love for God's
 word with my love for writing.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment