Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Can You Hear Me?

     When I was a young mom, I tended to scream more than I talked.  I wasn't aware that eventually my kids would just literally tune me out.  It is a defense mechanism.  When someone is yelling at you all the time, your ears just turn off. 

     As parents, I know how hard it is to keep a quiet voice when you are so very frustrated with the behavior of your children, but we really need to work on it. The Lord will speak to us in many ways, but most of the time it is through the Holy Spirit. In order for our children to learn how to listen for His Voice, they must first learn how to listen for ours. 

     When you are aggravated, take a time out.  Get your thoughts and words together before speaking.  Once you have yourself under control, you are then ready to get your child under control.  When you talk with your child, get down to his/her level and have them look you in the eyes.  Speak to them in quiet, but firm voice.  Allow them to know their behavior was unacceptable by the tone not volume of your voice. 

     I am going to be working with this challenge alongside of you.  I know I need improvement in this area, as I am sure most of us do.  We want our children to love and respect us.  They need to see us obeying God's Word daily and this means we have to have self-control with our emotions and in what we say.  We need them to listen so we can properly instruct them to do what is right. 

Hear, my son, your father's instruction, And do not forsake
 your mother's teaching. ~Proverbs 1:8

No comments:

Post a Comment