Wednesday, July 23, 2014

You Reap What You Sow

     As I was watching my kiddos play with one another yesterday, I listened to what they were saying.  I heard a lot of comments my husband and I would say.  Their little ears are always tuned in to us.  They listen to what we say and how we say it.  They learn how to act and react from our example.  

     What a huge responsibility it is for us as parents.  We must think before we speak and be careful about how we react to situations.  If we see our children acting in a way that is not pleasing, we may want to take a good long look in the mirror.  I know I have personally had to do this many times.  When I heard things I didn't appreciate or saw a behavior that was less than acceptable, I had to stop and think..... Did I teach them this?  Did they see me responding like this?  Did they hear words like that come from my mouth?  It was eye opening!  I realized many things I disliked about their behaviors were actions they learned from me. It caused me to repent for my own actions, thoughts, and words.  

     Each time we open our mouths or react in a way that is not pleasing to the Lord, we are sowing seeds in the hearts and minds of our children.  They rely on us to be their teachers and good examples of godliness.  As their teachers, we must also be careful who our children hang out with and what they watch and hear.  Those things also sow seeds.  Our children are so impressionable. It is our responsibility to protect them from things that could cause them harm physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  God gave these blessings to us and we are liable for their upbringing. 

     When I wake up in the morning, I spend time praying and reading God's Word.  The one thing I pray for most is that I will be godly mom and wife.  I want to please God in all I do and say.  Do I fail?  You bet, but God is there to pick me up and help me try again.  He is there to guide me as I parent my kiddos.  If you find it hard to be the best parent you can be, you are not alone.  We all have days we feel like the worst parent on the planet, but there is hope.  Hope in the Lord who will give us strength and the ability to carry on.  If we rely on Him, we will make it through and He will show us the way.  Today I encourage you to pray and ask the Lord to help you as you go throughout your day.  No matter what we do, He is there!  

     


No comments:

Post a Comment