Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wednesday's Wisdom Words: Taking Time to Enjoy Your Children

     
     When I had my first 3 children, I didn't enjoy my kids.  I thought being a mom meant feeding them, bathing them and picking up after them.  I didn't realize it was okay to have fun with them.  To put everything else to the side and get on the floor and make memories.  Boy do I have regrets!  

      To be honest, I was only 20 when my first baby was born, and I wasn't really ready to be a mom.  I sort of played house the first few years of motherhood.  I had watched those shows that helped you learn how to raise your kids and I was all set to follow every step they had shown me.  What those shows failed to tell me was that each kid was different and there was going to be a different formula of discipline and showing love for each of them.  I really messed up a lot with those first 3 little ones.  Thankfully by the time our 4th came along, I had rededicated my life to Christ and He showed me where I was failing with the other kiddos. 

     Our oldest is 20 now and I still apologize for things I didn't do with him as a little kid.  He sees me being a different mom with his younger siblings and I am sure he wonders where this mom was when he was young.  He knows mama loves him and did the best she could at the time, but I know if I could do it all over again, I would have been more involved in their lives.  I would have gotten outside to play and gotten my hands dirty in the sandbox.  I would have played cars, barbies, and blocks right there beside them.  

      Please don't wait until it is too late to be the mom that makes memories with their children.  Go ahead and give yourself permission to be the fun mom.  Put down the phone, turn off the computer and TV, and just enjoy your kiddos.  They will grow up so quickly, don't let the time pass you by.  Show them by your presence that they mean the world to you.  Instead of buying the latest electronic for them, take them on a trip to the zoo or on a picnic.  Your time spent with them will be remembered forever.  The gifts you buy them will be tossed away in a garbage dump one day.  Memories are forever!  Now go and make some joyful ones with your children today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment