Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Think Before You Speak!

    

      I began really thinking about this principle the other evening, when one of my children brought up a time in her life where a person, who was suppose to be mentoring her in the Bible, said something really nasty and wrong to her.  She was only 9 at the time of this incident, but all these years later, it still bothers her.  Someone she was suppose to look up to and who was suppose to be a godly example to her, treated her wrong.  They opened their mouth and caused a little one to dislike learning the Word of God.  My daughter admitted it turned her off to church for the longest time. 

"If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea."
 ~ Mark 9:42 ~

     As we talked, I asked her if she had forgiven this person, and she said yes, but it still hurt when she thought about the situation.  Even after all these years, the mere thoughts of those words made her ache and brought tears to her eyes.  

     We have got to be careful about what we say and how we say it.  I don't know what that teacher was thinking when she spoke those harsh words to my daughter, but it left scars that only God can heal.  What if my daughter had refused to give anyone else a chance to teach her as she grew up?  What if it would have left my daughter unable to love God, because if the way she was treated was an example of God's love, she didn't want a part of it?  Thankfully, my daughter was set in her ways and knew this wasn't the way God wanted her to be treated and she decided to let it go and not hold a grudge.  She was saddened by the event, but not taken down.  The devil didn't get his way this time. 

     Parents, teachers, and even those who babysit our children, need to be aware that words can hurt!  They are lasting in our memories.  You may not even know what repercussions your words have until years later.  THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!!!!  

     Over the next few weeks I am going to be writing more about how we use our words.  I will also be reviewing a book I am reading titled: Keep it Shut by Karen Ehman.  I believe there is life and death in words we speak.  What will you choose?  
  
    


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for exploring this subject. I came from an unchrisian home of 'yellers' and find myself hourly having to ask God to calm my spirit and hold my tongue with both hands as not to hurt or scar my children. I know He can change me and not pass this toxic habit to another generation, but it's a daily battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, I love your graphic for this post! I wish you would size it for a printable in pdf and post a link for us to print it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry she had to go through that! I had a similar experience as a child. It is hard, but in the end will make her stronger. We should all be aware of the words we choose. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete